The Ven Den was opened in 1964 and was renovated in 2015.

Ven Den

image019

The Ven Den, a vending machine room, opened in what was then called the Education Building in 1964. It was renovated in 2015.

“I went to UMD from 1972 to 1976. Microwave ovens were pretty new at that point and because of that, there was a sign on the Ven Den microwave that said, “microwave ovens may be hazardous to your health.’ Scribbled underneath that, someone had written, ‘So is the food here.’ ”– Linda Dunaiski ’76, Duluth, Minn., Sociology

Dining Center

image021

UMD’s Residence Hall Dining Center opened in July 1974. During the 2014–15 school year, Dining Services employed over 250 student workers.

“I worked at the Dining Center all four years I was at UMD. One day, my best buddy Ed and I made a 15-egg omelet that basically covered the whole grill and loaded it with everything we could find from the salad bar. This omelet filled an entire D.C. tray, and he and I, being the starving college students we were, absolutely devoured that massive beast-of-an-egg creation in 10 minutes!” – Jim Pichler ’92, South Range, Wis., Computer Engineering

See all Campus Memories