Dancers at Pow Wow

American Indian Pow Wow

image015

Over the years, UMD has hosted more than two dozen American Indian pow wows. The photo, featuring dancer Vince Cody in the center, is from the mid-1970s.

“When I was an undergrad, the Anishinabe Club sold fry bread and Indian tacos to raise money for the annual pow wow. We managed the whole event, which was held every year in May. We arranged for a spiritual advisor, the master of ceremonies, an arena director, flag carriers, head dancers, and a house host drum. Everyone was invited to come in their finest regalia and share in the richness. ” – Dee Gokee-Rindal BA ’79, MA ’86, EdD ’09, Bayfield, Wis., Education

Campus Aerial

aerial

Aerial views offer a glimpse at the significant changes that have taken place on campus. This photo was taken in 1958.

“I came back to Duluth in 2012 for my 60th Denfeld High School reunion and visited the UMD campus. In my first year at UMD in ’52, there was only one building on the upper campus, the Science Building. Being in a two-year pre-engineering program, I took all of my technical classes (math, physics, chemistry, etc.) there. Every day I rode the city bus from my family home to Old Main and then boarded one of the shuttle buses to go up the hill. ” – John Hjerpe ’54, Cypress, Tex., Pre-engineering

See all Campus Memories